Friday, April 5, 2013

Abbondanza!

     Still looking for my first good meal in Boston I consulted the travel guide in my room.  Among the eateries recommended was one called Giacomo's in the North End.  Firing up the GPS app on my iPad I discovered that it was literally just around the corner in the restaurant district of Little Italy.  But reading further I learned that they do not take either credit cards or reservations and that there is usually a line out the door waiting for a table, even on a week night.

 
     So I quickly made my way there at 5:30 and was fortunate to be seated at the last table available in the cramped dining room.  The place was indeed cozy and if you didn't know the diners sitting next to you when you sat down, you certainly did by the end of the meal.  There are only 42 seats in the small room that overlooks the open kitchen.  Everyone there can actually watch their meal being prepared and it is quite an experience.  I ordered the fruitta di mare, fruit of the sea, an amazing assortment of seafood served with linguine and red sauce.  Everything was cooked to perfection.  The shrimp and scallops were tender as were the mussels and clams, not rubbery from overcooking.  And the calamari was delicate, just like the chunks of fish.  It was a sumptuous feast and all for only $19.

 
     And just as the guide book warned, as I waddled my way out the door, there was a line down the street waiting for my table.



No comments:

Post a Comment