Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Ciao!

     The more I learn in the field of the culinary arts, the more I realize how little I really know.  Yesterday I was enlightened to the East African Berbere spice that packs quite a punch.  Today it is a little known Sicilian sauce used to baste grilled fish and meats.

     Salmoriglio was mentioned in a recipe for halibut that I was reading recently and I had absolutely no idea what it was.  But with the powers of the world wide web at my disposal I did some investigating and discovered that it has been used for centuries by Italians as well as other Mediterranean cultures to flavor their fish.  The name is derived from the word Salamioa, referring to the salty or briny nature of the easy to make sauce.

     Here's the recipe, courtesy of Mary Ann Esposito from Ciao Italia!:

Ingredients

Juice of 2 large lemons
1/2 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup hot water
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Fine sea salt to taste
Grinding black pepper

Directions


Combine all the ingredients except the salt and pepper in a medium size bowl and whisk until the ingredients are well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste. Keep refrigerated and use to baste grilled fish, meat or even poultry. Or pass it at the table as a condiment.
  
      I can't wait to try it this evening on some haddock I just purchased this morning!

    

1 comment: