Thursday, January 21, 2016

Authentic Italian

     On my daily walks around Key West I would often pass a cozy looking restaurant at the corner of Southard & Margaret Streets.  From the name I assumed that the Mangia! Mangia! Pasta Cafe had an Italian flair to it.  So one evening I decided to walk over and see for myself.
Mangia Mangia Pasta Cafe - Key West, FL, United States
     It turns out that they actually make their own pasta and are constantly experimenting with new "flavors" with different kinds of flour, including whole wheat, quinoa and rice.  The dining room does have a warm and welcoming feel to it with dark wood paneling on the walls that provided a backdrop for local works of art.  But it was a bit too cozy as I was barely able to get past the patrons sitting between me and my table.  I was tucked away in a distant corner with no hope of moving once I claimed my space.


     The menu did have a decided island Italian bent to it with a Conch Minestrone appetizer and house favorites like Spaghettini alla Carbonara, Rigatoni with Jumbo Shrimp and Tutto Grano.  I chose the Bollita Misto di Mare, a medley of seafood and shellfish over pappardelle and "...finished in a herbaceous clam broth and garnished with chopped tomatoes, green peas, and shaved Parmesan."



     I must admit, the pasta was among the best I have ever tasted.  The difference between fresh and dried is like night and day.  And their's is very fresh and full of flavor.  But the "Misto di Mare" that was in repose on the pappardelle was less than stellar, when I could find it.  I think there was a single shrimp making a cameo appearance among all the seafood, and maybe 2 scallops to keep it company. Mussels and other less expensive shellfish littered the landscape of the bowl.  So while the meal was appealing over all, I was left feeling a bit disappointed as I walked back to my home across from the cemetery.  But at least I had my hat to brighten my path.




Dinner at Mangia! Mangia Pasta Cafe: B-

1 comment:

  1. Should have absconded with empty mussel shells to further enhance that chapeau!

    ReplyDelete