Thursday, January 7, 2016

My Blue Heaven

    


      On the list of restaurants I was given the name Blue Heaven had an interesting notation next to it.  BREAKFAST was all that it said.  It wasn't difficult to look up the address and first thing in the morning I headed off walking to Thomas Street in the Bahama Village section of Key West.   I arrived about 10am and soon discovered that I wasn't the only one interested in eating there.  The wait for a table gave me some time to look around and appreciate where I was.  Once again it was another indoor/outdoor setting, but this time more outdoor than indoor.  



     And the owners obviously had a sense of humor about things.




    The wait wasn't long and soon I was seated and looking over the menu.  Hungry from the walk everything looked good to me...banana, pecan or blueberry pancakes, eggs Benedict ("Bennie's") with ham or country sausage, asparagus or avocado, and more combinations of omelettes than I could fathom.

     But I finally settled on one of the morning specials, lobster, shrimp and grits with a side of banana bread.  Whenever I travel I make it my goal to order something that is local.  And you can't get anymore local than the southern standby of shrimp and grits.  The service was prompt, friendly and attentive.  It didn't take long for my breakfast bowl to appear, a lot quicker than it took for me to finish off the entire serving.  


     It was without a doubt the best rif on the Dixie classic that I have ever tasted.  Fortified, I was able to continue my morning constitutional over to the Key West Lighthouse.

Breakfast at  Blue Heaven:  A!





No comments:

Post a Comment