Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Big Finish

     Up to this point all my dining experiences in Key West have been at casual eating establishments. But for my final meal I decided to have a formal dinner at an upscale restaurant.  So I called to make Christmas Eve reservations at A & B Lobster House just a stone's throw from famed Mallory Square, the location of the daily sunset celebration.



     I soon discovered that I wasn't the only one looking for a good meal there.  To accommodate all the hopeful diners the restaurant had extended their dinner hours.  I had two options: dinner at 5:30 or 8:30.  I chose the early seating and had a table by the window.  Soon a very pleasant waitress came by and recited the evening specials that were not listed on the menu.  I was delighted to hear that one of them was sauteed hogfish topped with lump crab meat sided with garlic mashed potatoes and haricot vert.  I had never heard of hogfish before, let alone tasted any.  But I did recall my seat mate on the flight to the Conch Republic enthusiastically recommending it when and if I could find it.

     So I placed my order and waited hopefully.  The waitress informed me that hogfish is a rare treat since cannot be line caught and must be speared and that while looking rather unsightly is very mild and sweet.




     I was able to confirm the delicate taste of the fish at first bite.  It was delicious!  Everything about my meal was superior.  Excellent food, generous portions and friendly service made it truly a memorable experience:  a fitting way to end my culinary research 
endeavor in Key West.

Christmas Eve Dinner at A & B Restaurant:  A+!

No comments:

Post a Comment