Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Dead in the Water

     


     Near the marina in Key West there is a very clever Christmas Tree.  It is made entirely of lobster traps and decorated with green boughs and red ribbons and marker buoys.  It's a great landmark sitting next to On the Half Shell Restaurant, a ramshackle one story place with uneven flooring and haphazard service.  I should have known better than to even attempt a meal there.  But I was desirous of some good oysters and given the name of the place, I thought they would have some of the bivalves on the menu.




     That was my first mistake.  And while they did indeed have oysters, they were arguably the worst I have ever consumed.  They were dry, warm and tasteless.  I almost gagged just trying to get them down.  Not even the tepid cocktail sauce could resurrect any flavor from the half dozen I ordered.  And unfortunately the fish sandwich that followed was even worse.  If there were a date stamp on it I'm sure that it would have been expired.  I would have preferred something from McDonald's over their poor excuse for a meal.


Lesson learned I guess.  All that glitters is not gold.  And that goes for seafood as well.


Dinner at On the Half Shell:  F

No comments:

Post a Comment