Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Two Mistakes

     mzJ3sU13lf_7642.jpg (655×399)

     Having an air conditioned house with a pool was wonderful.  So was having a car at my disposal to drive around Key West.  But soon after settling in I discovered that I was getting hungry.  So I decided to drive down near Mallory Square, the famed location of the daily sunset celebrations, to find a place to eat.  That was my first mistake.  Key West is an island, a small island, only 1 mile across and 4 miles long.  Parking is at a premium everywhere and I quickly learned that when I was charged $10 to park near the restaurant recommended by a beer jockey in The Twin Cities.  Following that advice turned out to be my second mistake.



     Two Friends is another one of those inside/outside kind of places.  The tables are inside but in reality we are actually sitting outside since everything is open and windowless.  
    
      But when it got windy outside, it was really windy inside.  Napkins and menus fluttered about as a storm was brewing.  But what was more disappointing than the wind tunnel ambiance was the prices of the dinner items.  They were higher than the decorative imported palm trees over our heads.  I decided to have a seemingly innocent fish sandwich with fries when I could get the attention of the waiter.  He seemed to lose interest in me after learning that I wasn't ordering any of the house specialty drinks served with little umbrellas in them. It seemed to take an inordinately long time for him to return with my meal.  And when it did arrive it was a sodden tangle of mushy fish and soggy Wonder bread with a side of very lukewarm fries.  I was wishing that the breeze that blew through the place would have taken the meal away, too.  It wasn't even worthy of food served in a freshman dorm.

     Those two mistakes taught me a valuable lesson on my first day in Paradise.

Dinner at Two Friends Restaurant:  D


No comments:

Post a Comment