Monday, January 25, 2016

Who's the Boss?

     On a morning constitutional I decided to stop for breakfast at a place I had passed by during my stay in Key West.  As its name implies Schooner's Wharf Restaurant is at the water's edge.  It's a casual looking place with a central bar area and tables on 3 sides.  I took a seat and it wasn't long before a friendly waiter came my way to offer me a menu.  There were many interesting looking breakfast offerings, but none of them included crab.



     I decided to order the Schooner Omelette.  It was described on the menu as being composed of shrimp, tomato and spinach.  But still hoping for some crab I queried the waiter if the chef could sprinkle some crab meat on top of the omelette.  He said he would ask the kitchen if they would honor my request.


     It was only a few minutes later that my breakfast was brought to the table, bereft of any crab meat but rather topped with some very yellow melted cheese.  Apologetically the waiter informed me that all the cooks in the kitchen are Haitian and there is sometimes a language barrier.  They also take a dim view of diversions to the stated menu.


     My guess is that in the native Creole language of Haiti crab and cheese must be very similar.  The omelette was tasty.  But I wish I could have had some crab meat, too.

Breakfast at Schooner's Wharf:  B+

No comments:

Post a Comment