Thursday, January 14, 2016

Pepe's

     The sign across the front of the place stated, "Eldest eating house in the Keys."  That was the claim of a small and tired looking place on Caroline Street in Key West.  Certainly from the outside Pepe's didn't look like much to write home about.  A smaller sign by the front door said, "Still open under old management "



     But as I went inside the place had a very inviting and comfortable feel about it.  And as it is with many of the other places in town the inside lead to an outside dining area.  Pepe's is very much a place for locals to enjoy a meal.  It's so good that tourists eat there as well.  I arrived just after they opened at 7am and I'm glad I did.  By 10 there was a line out the door just waiting to get in.



     The menu was fairly standard, nothing spectacular, but everything prepared well.  I ordered gravy and biscuits and was amazed at the portion size when it arrived at the table.  There was more than enough on the plate for two people!  I made a valiant effort to consume it all and came very close to doing so.  In between bites I chatted with the waitress who had a decidedly familiar accent.  Turns out she is a Philly ex-pat from Overbrook!

Breakfast at Pepe's:  A

No comments:

Post a Comment